1 ½ lbs. flank steak
3 Medjool dates, pitted and softened by soaking in hot water
2 Tbsp water
1/3 cup coconut aminos
1 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
1 Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
2 garlic cloves
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
Black pepper or crushed red pepper flakes for added spice
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup olive oil
Chopped fresh chives or your favorite herbs for garnish
1. Combine all marinade ingredients in a high-speed blender except for the flank steak and olive oil. Once pureed, add the olive oil very slowly with the blender running on low until combined.
2. Using a sharp knife, score the steak all over and place in a large bowl. Place in a Ziploc baggie and cover with marinade. Seal and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
3. When ready to cook it, preheat grill to medium-high heat. Remove the steak from the marinade and discard the liquid.
4. Place the steak on the hot grill and turn after the first side is browned with visible grill lines and repeat on the second side. Lower the heat to medium, cover the grill, and continue to cook until steak is done to preference, turning once.
5. Once done, move the steak to a large platter and loosely cover for 5-10 minutes, allowing the juices to distribute. Then, using a fork and a long sharp knife cut the steak against the grain in ½ inch slices on a slight angle.
6. Serve steak with your favorite veggies or salad.
Inspired by Paleo Running Momma